Mullin Wins Special Mile

By Michael S. Lottman

Freshman Mark Mullin defeated the best milers the Crimson and Yale varsities had to offer, and John deKiewiet broke the University high jump record, as the last six places on the Harvard-Yale squad that will travel to England this June were decided yesterday.

Running against a tough and experienced field in the mile, Mullin put on a thrilling exhibition of courage and endurance as he took the lead at the beginning of the race and held it all the way. He passed the 440 mark in a fantastic 59.5, and his time at the 880 was 2:05.

With 300 yards remaining, Yale's Jim Wade made his move, but Mullin held him off. Then, 150 yards from the tape, Eli Tom Cathcart challenged, but Mullin, in a dramatic show of determination, pulled away to win by five yards. His time was 4:17.8, an excellent performance considering the soggy condition of the track.

The Crimson's Jed Fitzgerald, a prerace favorite, was less fortunate, being forced to drop out when a flying cinder lodged in his eye. Cathcart, who took second and will go to England, is not considered in the same class as Fitzgerald. Fitzgerald's misfortune could have been avoided by a more judicious selection of starters; no more than three of the seven men entered had earned the right to compete.

DeKiewiet cleared 6 ft., 3 3/4 in. in qualifying for the trip along with freshman Marty Beckwith. In near-perfect form, deKiewiet made every height up to the record on his first attempt.

Soaring 22 ft., 10 1/4 in., his best leap ever, on his first try, Pat Liles made the team in the broad jump. Eli Stan Mac-Donald's 22 ft., 7 1/4 in. jump edged the varsity's Bob Downs for the second spot.

Previously chosen Crimson qualifiers were Jim Doty in the hammer, Hank Abbot in the shot, Tom Blodgett in the pole vault, Skip Pescosolido in the javelin, Frank Yeomans in the 100, Albie Gordon in the 440, Joel Landau in the hurdles, and Dyke Benjamin in the twomile.

The varsity will meet a weak Dartmouth squad today in the Stadium, with predictions of the Crimson's final margin ranging from 50 to 75 points.