Repertory Company To Present Series Of Plays Next Fall

"We are not dead. We are not out of business. We are not quitting." With these words, Dean Gitter '56, a managing director of Repertory Boston, Inc., told a luncheon meeting of area guests that R.B.I. will definitely resume activity in the fall.

Within the next few weeks, the group will announce a schedule of three or four plays, which, presented in a series of three-week runs, will constitute its fall season. Since the Wilbur Theatre is being sold, the group is currently negotiating for a new, smaller, non-union theatre.

Gitter added that R.B.I.'s advisory board, which includes Archibald Mac-Leish, has just acquired the services of two theatre luminaries: Eva Le Gallienne and Michel Saint-Denis.

N. Penrose Hallowell '32, temporary chairman of the Advisory Committee, announced plans for improving liaison with outlying areas, for instituting subscription and discount setups, and for achieving a minimum goal of 5,000 memberships by October.

At the meeting, held in the Hotel Touraine, Gitter admitted that the group had made mistakes this spring--among them: use of too large a theatre (the Wilbur seats over 1200); failure to emphasize the civic nature of the enterprises; aiming plays at too limited an audience; and rotation of plays within a given week.

The acting members of the group have been invited to serve as resident company at the University of New Hampshire for the summer; but it has not yet been decided whether they will accept.

The managing editors will devote themselves to fund-raising during the summer.