HLU Says Constitution Follows College Rules

ADA Requirement Might Be Violation

The president and former president of the Harvard Liberal Union last night denied any conflict between College rules for undergraduate organizations, and the ADA constitution, which applies to the HLU.

The campus division of Americans for Democratic Action requires college groups, like the HLU, to "secure the approval of local and state chapters before promulgating policy."

According to this year's regulations by the Faculty Committee on Student Affairs, "recognized organizations must maintain their autonomy. The criterion for local autonomy shall be whether the college organization makes all policy decisions without obligation to any parent organization."

Concern Among Members

James M. Bardeen '60, former president, said last night that the HLU makes all policy decisions, but can not declare publicly its policy on local or state issues without the approval of the parent group. He admitted, however, that there is some concern among members that the requirement may endanger the group's status in the College, and he said that he and club members are planning to consult Dean Watson about the matter.

After being elected president last night, Frederic Freilicher '60 agreed with Bardeen. He distinguished "making" policy, which he claimed the HLU can always do, from "promulgating" policy, which the ADA prohibits college groups from doing in cases of local issues.

Bardeen added that he was anxious to clear the matter with Dean Watson. Watson, who will make any decision, was unavailable for comment last night. Samuel H. Beer, professor of Government and advisor to the HLU, said yesterday that the wording should be interpreted by the Dean's office.