President Warns Steel Industry Against Spiraling Wages, Prices; Truman Asks More Foreign Aid

By The ASSOCIATED Press

WASHINGTON, May 5--President Eisenhower cautioned the steel industry and its workers today that "the United States cannot stand still and do nothing" if they push wages and prices upward in an inflationary spiral.

His words carried additional impact because of their timing, since contract negotiations began today in New York. The results, the President told a news conference, will be felt by all industry and all the people.

Eisenhower also said that he hopes for progress toward settling East-West differences at the big power foreign ministers' conference opening next week in Geneva. "If anything does develop that enlarges the hope for decreasing world tensions," he said, then "a summit meeting would become almost a foregone conclusion."

Truman Hits Aid Cuts

WASHINGTON, May 5--Harry S. Truman told Congress today not to cut foreign aid, but instead set up a bigger program on a longer basis--and then vigilantly police it.

At his salty best, the former president and onetime senator advised congressmen, some of whom are bent on cuts, that the time to reduce mutual security is when "you feel the situation is so bad you first cut congressional salaries."

Fallout Danger Minimized

WASHINGTON, May 5--Atomic Energy Commission Chairman John A. McCone said today a scientific advisory committee soon "will give further reassurance to the people of the world about the very small hazard resulting from fallout" of nuclear bomb tests.