Cushing, Dillon, Horton, Murphy, Bush, Geyl Gain Honorary Degrees at Commencement

Citations Included for Kuznets, Samuel Barber, Miss Taussig

Honorary degrees were awarded to thirteen men and women this morning, at the University's 308th Commencement. Only one foreign nation was represented in the presentations, and degrees went to six educators, a pair of religious leaders, and two top-level diplomats.

President Pusey conferred Doctor of Laws degrees on His Eminence Richard Cardinal Cushing, Archbishop of Boston; C. Douglas Dillon '31, U.S. Under-secretary of State; State Department "trouble shooter" Robert D. Murphy; Ada Louise Comstock Notestein, President of Radcliffe College from 1923-43; M.I.T President-Elect Julius A. Stratton; and Sidney J. Weinberg, a New York investment banker.

In addition, Doctorates of Letters were conferred on J.N. Douglas Bush, Gurney Professor of English Literature, and Pieter Geyl, professor of Modern History at the University of Utrecht.

Helen Brooke Taussig, noted for research on congenital heart disease, and Simon S. Kuznets, Professor of Political Economy at Johns Hopkins, were each awarded the degree of Doctor of Science. Douglas Horton, Dean of the Divinity School, became an honorary Doctor of Divinity; American composer Samuel Barber, Doctor of Music; and Lawrence Terry, Headmaster of Middlesex School, received an honorary Master of Arts degree. Terry was cited as a "Rugged, kindly son of Harvard, an enlightened servant of education and school.

Citing Cushing, President Pusey called him "A prince of his church, ever mindful of the needs of the least of his flock." Of Dillon, the President asserted: "Great-hearted, staunch-minded servant of order and justice in our country and the world."

Of Mrs. Notestein, "Gracious earlier preceptress of the accomplished young sister in whom Harvard now takes joyous pride;" of Stratton, "We rejoice in the election to high office of this humane, perceptive man of science, a good neighbor and helpful friend;" of Geyl, "Our knowledge of history has been deepened by this thoughtful historian's illumination of his kind;" of Miss Taussig, "Brilliant daughter of a brilliant father, her scientific investigations have helped to save countless children from death or lives of crippling pain;" of Barber, "His music lends strength and grace to the culture of our time."

This afternoon, doplomas for the new degree holders will be distributed following special luncheons at the eight Houses aid at the various graduate schools.

Alumni will reconvene at the Tercentenary Theatre at 1:30 P.M. for the 119th annual meeting of the Alumni Association, when Theodore Chase, Chief Marshal of the Class of 1934, will present the class gift to the College, and the results of elections for the Board of Overseers and other alumni offices will be announced.

The weatherman promises clear and somewhat cooler weather for today's ceremonies. Highest temperature will be near 80 degrees, with moderate westerly winds.