Johnson Leads Crimson To 10-0 Win Over Yale

Rodgers, Balboni Star

By John P. Demos

The varsity baseball team closed out its home season yesterday afternoon with a most gratifying victory over Yale. Two thousand well-liquored alumni looked on approvingly as the Crimson took command right from the start and emerged on the good end of a 10-0 score.

Bad athletic squads out of New Haven are about as rare as good breakfasteggs out of the Central Kitchen; and so a long-suffering Harvard rooter will, perhaps, be excused for rubbing it in a little, when the Elis appeared as inept as they did yesterday afternoon.

Harvard came out way ahead in every department of the game--batting, pitching, fielding, and what have you. The Crimson superiority was so marked indeed, that many of the alumni found it quite feasible to devote their attention to other things beside the activity on the playing-field.

All the Harvard representatives performed well, but pitcher Byron Johnson, shortstop Bill Rodgers, and outfielder Maurice Balboni must be singled out for heroes' honors.

Johnson pitched perhaps the finest game of his college career, holding the Elis to just five hits, and allowing only one baserunner to get as far as third.

Rodgers, filling in for the injured Mouse Kasarjian, rattled out three line-drive singles, and drove in three runners. Only a sophomore, this man gives promise of developing into a very fine hitter in the baseball wars that lie ahead of him.

Balboni Hits Grand Slam

For Balboni, the game was something of a personal triumph. One of only three returning lettermen last March, he had been shunted to a back-seat role for most of the season. But yesterday he came into his own at last, slamming out two singles and a grand slam home-run. The latter hit sewed up the game for the Crimson and doubtless will be many times celebrated in story when Balboni sits down with his grandchildren years hence.

The varsity jumped away to a 2-0 lead in the very first inning. Al Martin was hit by a pitch and went to third when an Eli infielder muffed Chet Boulris' pop-fly. Rodgers then fetched both men home with a sharp single to left.

A single, a sacrifice, and another Yale error made it 3-0 in the fourth, and an inning later came Balboni's home run. A hit batsman, a single, and an error preceeded his mighty swat down the left-field line.

Still going strong, the varsity cuffed around a new Yale pitcher for two more runs, in the sixth. Martin's double, a walk to John Davis, and singles by Chet Boulris and Rodgers produced these essentially meaningless tallies.

A final Crimson score was registered in the seventh on a walk, a sacrifice, and a single by George Harrington. But by this time many of the spectators had lost interest in the contest and were busy fighting for places at the water fountain. So far as this reporter could see, everybody went home happy except for an elderly man named Ethan Allen and several little boys in blue.