The Hole That Came True: Quincy Opens Its Doors

By Peter J. Rothenberg

Quincy House, nearly ready, but not quite, opened its doors to its first residents Friday morning. The first group among the 260 upperclassmen who will live in the eighth House, had to pick their way amid wooden planks, unfilled trenches and other signs of continuing construction, but found their living quarters entirely finished.

Work will continue on the commons building, housing the dining room and recreation areas, and on the separate library building. Indications are that the dining room will be completed in time for upperclass registration on Friday and that the library will be ready several weeks later.

The new House, named after Josiah Quincy, 15th President of the University, is an eight-story modern structure, designed on a skip-stop arrangement for the living quarters. This system is based on a three-floor "sandwich," with all the living rooms on the middle floor and solid floors of bedrooms above and below. Only the middle floors have central corridors with access to elevators--a new feature in College residential buildings.

Representatives of the Boston press visited the new building last Thursday for a conducted tour of the premises and a luncheon in the rooftop apartment of Master John M. Bullitt '43.