Vellucci Vote Elects Crane Mayor of City

By Thomas M. Pepper

Edward A. Crane '35 yesterday received a surprise endorsement from Councillor Alfred Vellucci that permitted him to become Mayor of Cambridge on the afternoon's first ballot.

Crane got the necessary five votes by holding his own and three other Cambridge Civic Association choices, plus Vellucci's vote. On the six previous ballots, Vellucci had voted for himself, and had been an avowed candidate for the post.

Immediately following a resolution to make the vote unanimous, Vellucci spoke at length explaining his decision to change--a complete surprise to most observers, reportedly even to Crane.

Vellucci said that since inauguration day last Monday, the Council majority of five independents had been trying to select a Mayor, but couldn't agree among themselves. Vellucci said that he himself had submitted his own Mayoralty candidacy, but had never received another vote except from his friend, Thomas M. McNamara. (Actually, Vellucci also received a vote from Andrew T. Trodden on the fourth ballot.)

He stressed the need for a Mayor if the City were to progress, especially regarding industry and reduction of unemployment. "We must have an organization here," Vellucci contended, adding that already that afternoon one Councillor had tried to impede proceedings. He referred to an earlier Council action--selecting jurors, which was opposed by Councillor Trodden.

Finally, Vellucci said: "I felt that if I couldn't be Mayor, although I felt entitled to it . . . I thought Cambridge comes before Al Vellucci."

In his inaugural address, Crane acknowledged he had been Mayor a previous term (1950-51) and said he knew the "headaches, the plusses and the minuses that go with this responsibility, but I accept them." "I have big hopes for the City of Cambridge," the new Mayor added.

Crane is an attorney and a member of the Board of Directors of the Harvard Trust Company; he is the father of six children.

The Council proceeded to elect Trodden vice-Mayor through some strange political maneuvering. On the first ballot, Councillors Cornelia B. Wheeler, Trodden, and Vellucci all received three votes.

Initially, on the second ballot Trodden got four votes, Wheeler her same three, and Pearl K. Wise two. Mrs. Wise, however, recorded herself for Trodden. After several switches, the final count gave Trodden five and Mrs. Wheeler four votes; this was also made unanimous.

McNamara Supports CCA

In the vice-Mayor's election, the C.C.A. bloc of Crane, Joseph A. DeGuglielmo '29, and Wheeler had support from McNamara. Had Mrs. Wise not bolted, Mrs. Wheeler would presumably have been elected.

In the initial second ballot, Crane and Vellucci recorded for Mrs. Wise, when she failed to vote for herself. The switch by DeGuglielmo and Mrs. Wheeler was apparently a cue to have Mrs. Wise switch to herself, thus having the needed five votes. When she failed to do this, the other three CCA Councillors switched back to Mrs. Wheeler.

Subsequently, the City Council unanimously reappointed John J. Curry '19 as City Manager. As head of the City's executive department, Curry asked for the Council's cooperation to help make Cambridge a better city