Quintet Tops Bucknell Team, 68-59; Drops Tourney Opener to Furman

The varsity basketball team won the consolation game of the first annual Poinsettia Tournament by rallying to beat Bucknell, 68 to 59, Saturday night at Greenville, S.C. With the score tied at 55 to 55 and seven minutes left to play, the varsity sunk two quick baskets to go ahead for keeps.

Once leading by a safe margin, the Crimson slowed down the pace of the game and forced Bison defenders to foul frequently. The varsity then rode to a nine point lead, which it maintained until time ran out.

In the tourney opener Friday night, Furman walloped the varsity five, 87 to 69, to advance into the finals. With 14 minutes left in the game, the varsity led its opponents by a point, but a Furman rally of three straight baskets and a free throw left the Crimson behind, 48 to 42. The visiting five was unable to halt Furman's continued scoring despite a full court press in the closing minutes of the period.

Captain Mike Donahue was high scorer for the Crimson against Furman with 14 points. Gary Bourchard, leading scorer in the Bucknell game, and Ed Cuffe gained a total of 13 points each.