Cornell Scores Twice in Second Half To Beat Varsity, 12-0, in Ivy Opener

Launches First Big Red Drive

By Peter J. Rothenberg, Special to the CRIMSON

THACA, N.Y.--The varsity foot-team's goal line phobia struck again at Cornell's Schoellkopf Field, rugged Big Red squad, outplayed for almost three periods, rallied to John Yovicsin's Crimson, 12 to 0. times the Crimson drove inside Cornell 40-yard line, once to a first on the 1, but could never put the across. The Big Red, on the other , grabbed its first big opportunity Brown's interception of a Terry pass) and promptly moved 24 in eight plays for a touchdown 0:52 of the third quarter. With Harvard resistance fading, Cornell added insurance score on an 80-yard march way in the final period.

Brown's interception, the Crimson had dominated play almost complete- In the first half, Harvard picked up at first downs to Cornell's three, and 163 yards to Cornell's 70. Barto- making his first varsity start in place he injured Ravenel, did some fine but couldn't lead the Crimson score.

Bartolet's Passing Shines

In the varsity's drive to the Cornell 15 the opening kick-off, the sophomore hit Bob Boyda twice and Messenbaugh once for a total of 53 With fourth down and 2 on the Dave Ward tried a field goal, but it short and off to the left.

the second quarter, Bartolet and again combined for long yardage. by three Cornell defenders, Boy- the ball out of the six Big Red for a first down on the 1. Both and catch were great, and the play 42 yards. Here, however, the goal line futility became intolerable. Bartolet tried two sneaks: on the first he was for no gain; on the second he and Cornell captain Warren recovered on the 2.

After these two first half opportunities, Crimson never came as close. in the third quarter Brown pulled Interception, and the Big Red, bottled all afternoon, finally got under way. Bob Ritz scored eight plays later on a sneak from the 1. blocked George Telesh's attempted conversion.

The Crimson made two more forays into Cornell territory, but a couple of calls which hindsight would call mistaker stopped them each time. Immediately after the Big Red touchdown, the varsity--with sophomores Bill Hatch and Hobie Armstrong doing most of the running--moved 41 yards on the ground to a third and 4 on the Cornell 40. Here Yovicain sent in Tom Boome to try the right half-back option pass to Armstrong; it was overthrown and the Crimson had to punt A little later, with fourth and 4 on the Big Red 34, Bartolet chose to punt and kicked into the end zone; Cornell took over and moved 80 yards to its second touchdown on its only sustained march of the afternoon.

Ritz mixed his plays beautifully as the Big Red offense, almost purely a ground affair featuring wingbacks in motion to the reverse side, worked well for the first time. Telesh carried eight times on the 15-play drive and threw a 12-yard pass for Cornell's only completion of the day. George Ekstrom, perhaps the fastest man in the league, scored the touch-down, on an 11-yard reverse sweep around left end.

Telesh, the powerful workhorse of the Cornell backfield, was the leading ground-gainer with 80 yards in 25 carries. Hatch, just up from the JV (for whom he scored five touchdowns in two games), surprisingly led the Crimson with 40 yards on 8 attempts.

The Crimson did not play a poor game; it merely was unable to finsh off its many promising drives. This fault cannot be attributed to Ravenel's absence: even in the Holy Cross game, for example, the score didn't reflect the extent to which Harvard had dominated the game. Bartolet made some mistakes (Ravenel made them as a sophomore too), but he also passed better than any Crimson quarterback in at least four years. With experience, he will be very, very good.GEORGE EKSTROM (48) starts on the 11-yard jaunt that gave Cornell its second touchdown of the afternoon. The Crimson's JIM NELSON (35) and BERT MESSENBAUGH try In vain to stop Ekstrom, a sprinter on the Big Red track team. No one laid a hand on the rapid halfback on his scoring burst. In all he gained 23 yards on just two rushes. The scoring sweep was the climax of a drive that covered 80 yards in 15 plays. Cornell's George Telesh carried the ball on eight of the 15 plays and also completed 12-yard pass during the drive.

Bartolet's Passing Shines

Bartolet's Passing Shines