Seminar Groups To Begin Talks

A program of twenty six-week seminars on various religious and social topics, open to all Harvard and Radcliffe students, will begin operation next week.

The seminars, sponsored through the Phillips Brooks House by six Protestant religious organizations at the University, will meet one hour a week in groups of 12 or less to discuss topics such as "Christianity Under Attack," "American Culture and Race," "Marriage and the Family," "The Disarmament Problem," and "Theology in the Theatre."

The idea for the program originated with a group of undergraduates in the spring of 1959, and was tested last year in seven or eight seminars in the fall and eleven in the spring. The Rev. Richard E. Mumma, Presbyterian University Pastor, called last year's seminar's "quite successful" in that they were well attended and provoked interest.

Planned Last Spring

Rev. Mumma believes that last year's success indicated the possibility and advisability of continuing and expanding the program for this year. Student representatives, associated with religious groups around the Square, met last spring and planned this year's program.

Between 2,500 and 2,800 brochures listing and describing the seminars in a format similar to that of the "Courses of Instruction" catalogue were mailed today to all students who checked a religious preference of one of the six sponsoring denominations on the PBH blanks at registration. The deadline for registration is Friday.