Former Nixon Opponent Calls Him Indecisive, Ambivalent' on Issues

Helen Douglas Speaks at Ford Forum

By Robert E. Smith

loser to Richard Nixon in the 1950 Senate race in California a discourse on political ethics night and then proceded to blast vice-President, his running mate, and Republican Administration.

Gahagan Douglas, speaking at Ford Hall Forum on "Ethics in Campaigns," digressed for 45 from her topic and labelled "Indecisive, ambivalent, and ignorant of the issues."

a campaign more than a contest with no holds barred?" Douglas asked. "A candidate must on the issues. What is right is concern, not what is politically experiment."

her brief coverage of the lofty of the evening, Mrs. Douglas into an unequivocal pronouncement on what she thinks of Richard M.. The former Congresswoman and actress asked the overflow whether the image of a "new does not imply that there is side that the candidate hopes to .

former opponent, Mrs. Douglas "lacks the inner conviction and self confidence that mark leaders of men." While she was at it, Mrs. Douglas called Henry Cabot Lodge, GOP vice-Presidential candidate, "too belligerent."

"Nixon ambivalence," the Californian politician claimed, "discloses not political skill but perhaps an ignorance of the issues." She said that her experience has shown that Nixon introduces issues that are "above discussion"--like peace and loyalty.

Mrs. Douglas had high words of praise for Senators Kennedy and Johnson. She called Kennedy "explicit and forthright on matters of disarmament and nuclear testing." Calling the issue of survival the most important this fall, Mrs. Douglas based her praise for the Massachusetts senator on the feeling that he is better able to cope with the great responsibility of preventing nuclear war.

The controversial speaker was scarcely disturbed by a barrage of eggs thrown from the rear balcony during the question period. After a group of college students shot out of the auditorium, the moderator, with amazing aplomb, called the meeting to order. Mrs. Douglas quipped. "Just eggs? I thought they were light bulbs," and continued to criticize President Eisenhower as freely as before.