Morgenthau Criticizes 'Obsolete' U.S. Policies

Hans J. Morgenthau, visiting professor of Government from the University of Chicago, described American foreign policy as "obsolete" Thursday night, and warned that President-elect Kennedy must make radical changes to "restore the natural primacy of foreign policy over domestic policy."

Morgenthau declared that present foreign aid policy is based on four unjustified assumptions: dollars plus technological know-how equals economic development, economic development equals a stable society; a stable society equals democracy; and democracy equals peace. He suggested that such aid is ineffective when rational and moral reasons for economic development are lacking.

The first challenge which the new administration must face, Morgenthau asserted, will be the achievement of a nuclear test ban agreement. "If we can't agree on this with the Russians, we can agree with them on nothing," he said.

Morgenthau Urges Change

He described the strategy of the present Administration as a "series of entangling alliances." The State Department has refused to adapt the strategy to changing conditions, he continued, as examples the growing number of nations with atomic weapons, and the world-wide revolution of former colonial peoples.

Stressing that a policy of military containment is not effective against the Soviet Union's psychological, economic, and political threat, Morgenthau maintained that many nations now regard the United States, not the Russians, as the aggressor. Military strength should receive less emphasis than it now he added. "We must learn to bargain, promise, threaten, compromise. . . ."

"The new Administration must be able to convince Congressional and public opinion that its policies are in the best interests of the United States," Morgenthau contended. He added that the resident does not need new laws to do he has enough power already.

Discussing the United Nations, Morgenthau warned against giving too much answer to an organization which "could come an instrument of Russia." Instead he suggested, "what is needed is a effective foreign policy which rests in the energy and wisdom of one man as resident."

When asked to comment on Cuba, Morgenthau replied. "What do you want to say? I am sorry it happened."