Scholarships Will Increase At Radcliffe

Aid Will Offset Raising Lowest Room Fees

By Mary ELLEN Gale

Radcliffe College plans to increase room-and-board scholarships next year for students whose room rates will rise $100 as a result of the standardisation of college room charges, according to President Mary I. Bunting.

In addition, she emphasised, the College will try to provide additional and large scholarships for students unable to meet rising tuition costs.

Beginning in 1961-62, each resident will pay $460 for her room. In the past, charges have varied from a low of $360 in co-operative houses, most off-campus houses, and economy doubles in the brick dormitories, to a high of $560 for dormitory singles, Residents of Warner House, some rooms in Gilman and Saville Houses, and regular doubles in the dorms have been paying a room rate approximately the same as the standardised price.

"A real democratic principle" underclass the change, President Bunting stressed. Formerly, many scholarship students were restricted to rooms in the $360 price range, because all room-and-board scholarships were based on the lowest possible room charge. Beginning next year, she said, the standard figure of $460 will be used to set scholarship amounts.

As a result, "financial need will no longer determine room choices and assignments," the President declared. Scholarship students and other girls with limited incomes will be able to select regular doubles, large off-campus rooms, or dormitory singles without paying extra.

Fairer Prices

She also pointed out that the uniform room rate will result in a fairer adjustment of prices, because co-operative houses--where rooms formerly cost the least--are the most expensive kind of housing to maintain.

When the new co-operative houses open next fall, the College may deconvert about 30 of the smallest doubles in the dorms, President Bunting noted. The number of rooms to be converted will depend on the size of next year's freshman class and on possible use of one or more off-campus houses for graduate housing. Frances R. Brown, Dean of Residence and Student Affairs, said yesterday.

In the near future, President Bunting hopes to create a student advisory committee on housing policy to convey student suggestions on present and projected policies to the Administration.