Schwartz Calls Afro-Asian Bloc 'No Cause for Panic' in Future

There is "no reason for us to panic" about the new states of Africa and Asia, a University expert on Far Eastern Affairs declared last night. Speaking at the Hillel Round Table of World Affairs, Besjamin I. Schwartz, professor of History and Government, predicted that "the emerging world is not one we will necessarily like, but it is one that we can live with."

In the "Implicit ideologies" of the neutralist nations Schwartz saw three important features which produce an affinity for the Communist world, and three which mitigate the danger of their becoming actively Communistic.

He stnassed "efficiency-dictatorships" as the first and most important "affinity" factor. These are single-party governments without an explicit ideological commitment, but deriving power from their claim to "incarnate the general will of the people."

Emphasis on "Collectivities"

Second, he mentioned the necessary state control over an emerging economy, and its corresponding emphasis on "collectivities as opposed to individuals." The tendency to attribute all past troubles in these areas to European imperialism, Schwartz explained, is the third factor.

These factors create a "high probability" of attraction to Moscow and Peiping, Professor Schwartz stated, but they are not entirely satisfactory to the Communists.

The most important Afro-Asian deviation from the Communist line revolves around the Marxist theory of the victory of the proletariat, according to Schwartz. Despite a gradual shift in emphasis to Russian and Chinese national interests, the identification of the Communist Party with the international working class is still "the cement which holds world Communism together." The "implicit ideologies" of the emergent nations, on the other hand, claim to speak for the entire people of their countries, and hence are quite nationalistic, Schwartz maintained.

Self-Determination

Another Afro-Asian "source of embar- rassment" for the Communists, Schwartz claimed, is the determination of these nations to be their own masters. "Communism can not see its victory as inevitable until each nation is under the control of the Communist Party, responsible to Moscow," Sohwarts said.

Thirdly, Schwartz noted, emergent nations seem to have no aversion to accepting aid from the West. Russia is unable to convince the leaders in Africa and Asia that Western aid is a form of imperialism.

Thus, while these regimes may be better in the Russian view than Western-oriented democracies, Schwarts concluded, they are not unacceptable from the American point of view. "If you get a many-sided world with many polarities," he said, the Communist prediction of eventual world victory "will gradually pass over from the category of an operative doctrine to the realm of ritualistic dogma."BENJAMIN I. SCHWARTZ