STILLMAN NEGLIGENCE

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Sunday, shortly after lunch, we saw a man lying delerious on the ground between Memorial Church and Widener Library. We immediately notified the University operator who in turn promptly relayed the message to Stillman Infirmary. Stillman promised to send a doctor, but after FIFTEEN MINUTES there was no sign of any aid arriving from the University Police (whose office was closed) or from Stillman.

A passer-by had the sense to alert the Cambridge Rescue Unit, located in the fire station. They appeared within minutes and competently took over. It was only as the rescue truck was leaving the Yard with the stricken man that a University Policeman finally appeared. He only seemed interested in stopping this motor vehicle from driving through the Yard.

Where was Stillman's doctor? Where was the University ambulance (Police station wagon)? Even though this happened in the middle of Harvard Yard, no University facility was prepared to meet this emergency.

Why cannot an agency which receives two-hundred thousand dollars (forty-eight dollars per student) provide even the most elementary emergency care? John W. Polacheek '64   Erie L. Sandquiet '64