Emerson, Bowie Foresee Growth in African Studies

By Michael Churchill

The rapid emergence of independent states in Africa is causing a gradual but growing interest in African studies within the University. Speed of the expansion in the field, according to experts, will be dictated by the ability to build up the staff of qualified personnel now lacking.

Both Rupert Emerson '21, professor of Government, and Robert R. Bowie, Director of the Center for International Affairs, noted the expansion of interest in the area. Bowie agreed with Emerson's sentiment, however, that the formation of a Center of African Studies on the model of the Russian and Middle Eastern Research Centers would be premature at this time.

Although there are currently no courses specifically concerned with Africa, Emerson felt "there will be an increasing movement to add courses until the field is built up to something more respectable." Herbert J. Spiro, assistant professor of Government, will return next year from study in Nyasaland, and Emerson himself will make a trip to Africa later in the year.

Bowie declared that the Center for International Affairs expects to expand its activities in the African area "by additional research and by bringing more Africans to the Center." The work will focus "on the political, social and institutional aspects of the new African states," he said.

Present work in the area underway at the Center deals with African agriculture and the relations of the emergent nations with Europe. Other African studies at the University are scattered through several courses and seminars.

Dean Bundy recently stated that the prospect of an area program for Africa represented an instrument rather than a goal in the field.

Emerson noted the need to "wait until we have somebody to put into a Center" before making plans for it.