PBH Will Offer Swahili Course

PBH will offer a non-credit course in Swahili to Harvard and Radcliffe students second semester. It will meet three hours a week and will cost $25 in addition to textbooks.

Established two years ago, the course is part of the required training for the 20 members of PBH's Project Tanganyika; the instructor, Michael Kinunda, is a Tanganyikan graduate student at Boston College who has taught Swahili since the Project's beginning in 1961.

PBH has tried unsuccessfully to have Swahili established as a credit course, but President Pusey's office has refused on the grounds that here is no well-defined literature in Swahili. Swahili, since this December, is the official language of Tanganyika. Spoken extensively in East Africa, it is a lingua-franca, representing combinations of Arabic and local dialect, and is described by linguists as one of the "most regular" languages in the world.

The course enrollment will be limited to 30, 20 of whom are the members of Project Tanganyika. Interested students may call PBH.

The expenses which are not covered by tuition will be met by donations and grants.

Members of the Project started raising the necessary $40,000 during the Christmas vacation.