Plans Passed For 'Cliffe's Study Center

By Helen L. Bogumil

The Radcliffe College Council yesterday unanimously approved the preliminary plans for the proposed Library Study Center to be built on a site now occupied by two off-campus houses. No date for the start of construction has been set, however.

President Bunting explained that about $2 million more will have to be raised before any definite plans can be made. She added that Radcliffe intends "to seek money from potential donors of large amounts rather than conduct an all-out drive in which everyone gives a little."

Cost Goes Up

About $1 million has been raised for the building, with the total cost of the center estimated at $4.5 million. President Bunting noted that "this figure is considerably higher than the original estimate, but nothing can be done about it."

Before construction is begun the two off-campus houses and an administrative building on the corner of Garden and Shepard Streets will be razed. This will make it necessary for the College to find living quarters for the 35 girls who presently live in the two off-campus dwellings, Everett and Saville Houses.

Robert H. Gardiner, Treasurer of Radcliffe College, said that this problem is still "far in the future, and will only be temporary in nature. But I suppose when the time comes the College can rent some more houses or make some other stop-gap arrangement to make room for the girls."

Fourth House Next

President Bunting said that the plans for the proposed fourth house are also progressing, but the Council felt it would be advisable to construct the study center first. Thaddeus R. Beal, a Trustee of Radcliffe College, said that "If the Study Center is a success, and it looks like it will be, it will excite interest in the fourth house and then we can go ahead with it, too."