Varsity Runners Bury B.U., 17-46

Walt Hewlett Breaks Record

Harvard wound up Walt Hewlett today, and the Crimson's sophomore star chugged away from his teammates and away from the opposition to finish first by 52 seconds and set a new course record.

Considerably further back, Harvard runners finished in second and third places, and swept the fifth through eleventh spots behind Boston University's Paul Scott, the only Terrier runner to stop a Crimson sweep. The final score of the meet was 17-46, almost a complete shutout.

Hewlett breezed across the finish line almost a minute in front of Crimson captain Ed Meehan. His time of 24:44 broke by 22 seconds the Franklin Park course record set two years ago by Cornell's Steve Machooka, the Ivy League's premier runner this season.

Meehan's time of 25:36 was the fourth best ever run over the course, but the Crimson captain couldn't come within waving distance of Hewlett after the first few strides. Meehan had little competition for second place; Harvards' Bill Crain was third, 31 seconds back, and comfortably ahead of B.U.'s Scott.

Trailing Scott was Dave Allen, a promising sophomore who ran fifth for the Crimson in last week's season-opening meet against Providence. Bob Anschuetz, a letterman who has been bothered with injuries, finished sixth.

But it was Hewlett who dominated the race, just as he ran away with last week's meet with Providence. No one has come within 44 seconds of the Crimson ace yet this year.

He should get his first stiff test of the season when the Harvard runners face Cornell and Brown this Friday in a triangular meet. The highlight of the race should be the duel between Howlett and Machooka, but a Brown team that has the greater depth than Harvard or Cornell might well win the overall race.

"Not So Lucky?"

Last year the Crimson squeaked by Cornell, 26-29, and Brown, 27-29, but Coach Bill McCurdy admits his team was lucky to get by the deeper opposition. "We caught Brown early in the season last year on a day when they were distinctly off," he said. "This year we may not be so lucky."

The Harvard freshmen won their first meet of the year yesterday, defeating the Terrier frosh, 27-32, over a shorter, 3-mile course at Franklin Park. Although B.U.'s Georg Starkus finished first, the Yardling runners took second, fourth, sixth, seventh and eight places to win narrowly.

Tennessean Jim Smith was the first Crimson runner to finish, taking second place 20 seconds behind Starkus. Dave Rice took fourth place for Harvard