Crimson Injuries Dwindle

Pochop, Grant Practice

By Joseph M. Russin

One reason for the gay of dreamy optimism prevailing at Yale is the widely believed rumor that about half the Harvard team is confined to the Health Center.

Although this was almost the case earlier in the week, the appeal of playing against Yale and perhaps the stark surroundings of Holyoke Center have encouraged practically all those on the injured list to attend practices.

"We're hurting some," a gloomy John Yovicsin said last night, but he admitted that several important players were at practice yesterday and should be able to spend some time is the Bowl Saturday.

Warmly welcomed after nearly a week off the was tackle Jeff Pochop, whose recovery was thought by some observers to be vital to a Harvard triumph. The big who had been to Holyoke Center with an infected nose, worked briefly Wednesday and went through a full practice yesterday.

Wally Grant, the team's leading rusher, was in uniform yesterday for the first time in two weeks and "running remarkably well," Yovicsin said. "Of course," the worried coach sighed, "he might not be able to walk tomorrow." Grant pulled a leg muscle in practice and missed both the Princeton and Brown games. When healthy, he is the fastest man wearing Crimson this year.

Another halfback, junior Tom Bilodeau, also worked out last night, although Yovicsin felt he wasn't running at capacity. Nonetheless, Yovicsin hopes to use Bilodeau, who scored two touchdowns last Saturday, both offensively and defensively against Yale.

Restrained by an ankle injury for the first part of the week, stocky captain Bill Southmayd participated in rough work yesterday, but coaches are not yet sure if he is completely recovered. With John Hoffman lost for the season, a sturdy Southmayd is just about essential.

Sophomore end Ken Boyda, favoring an injured leg, has been running since Tuesday, but Yovicsin reports that he has only been able to practice "conservatively."

Yale has talked a good deal more about injury than has Harvard, but the list is a good deal shorter. By last night it had dwindled to one, second string halfback Dick Berk. Noted primarily for his speed, Berk's loss is not considered terribly damaging to coach John Pont's backfield.

Ell captain George Humphrey has put in two full days of contact work and is believed to be over his knee problem. Humphrey has told reporters that he isn't very excited about The Game any way. "We would rather beat Princeton," he said Wednesday.