More Than 2000 Attend Services In Mem Church

More than 2,000 students, faculty members, and alumni gathered at Memorial Church Saturday to pay tribute to John Fitzgerald Kennedy '40. Twenty-three years after he received his bachelor's degree cum laude, the late President was mourned in a simple and somber service during which many showed their grief by weoping.

"Once he was here, walking the same streets and paths which you and I walk, sitting in the same classrooms, perhaps reading the same books in Widener," said Rev. Charles P. Price, University preacher. "Now he has died for his country and we died a little when he died."

Dean of the Faculty

Samuel H. Miller, Dean of the Faculty, delivered the prayer. "Our tongues are stunned by a violence we cannot believe; our prayers stumble in the darkness of our shame; we see through a glass darkly, while the shadows shift and fade into the long tragedy of hate and fear that emingly never ends," he said.

Of the 1,200 persons who squeezed into Memorial Church, 300 had to stand. More than 800 others stood outside.