RGA Discussion Fizzles On Sign-Out Extension

By Ellen Lake

RGA representatives failed yesterday to reach a decision on a controversial motion to extend unlimited sign-out privileges to sophomores.

Two pickets and more than sixty other students--certainly the largest number in several years--jammed the meeting to hear what had promised to be the most vigorous RGA debate in months. The discussion bogged down on a substitute motion, to grant unlimited 3 a.m. permissions to sophomores. After half an hour of heated debate, this motion was withdrawn.

Although the original motion was proposed last spring, discussion of rules has awaited a report by the RGA rules committee on the effects of extended sign-out privileges on juniors.

Addressing the legislature on behalf of the committee, President Bunting recommended that sophomores not be granted unlimited permission. She asked, however, that no vote be taken on the original motion to liberalize privileges until after the legislature had studied the committee's report.

Mrs. Bunting also proposed that in the future the RGA consider requiring sophomores and second-term freshmen to obtain permission from their head residents or dorm presidents to remain out after 1 a.m.

Miss Gail E. Thain '64, president of the Board of Hall, charged that several of the rules committee's "most liberal" members had been absent from the meeting at which the committee voted on its recommendations. Reportedly, only one dissenting vote was cast at the meeting, which took place on the day President Kennedy was assassinated.

In explaining these recommendations, Mrs. Bunting said that sophomore year is one of unusual stress, and that unlimited sign-outs would simply place an added burden on students.

In addition, the recommendations stated that the current practice of allowing sophomores to get permission from dorm committee members to stay out after 1 a.m. "defeats the purpose of the rules and fosters disrespect toward all College regulations."

The report which accompanied the committee recommendations said that neither the health nor the grades of juniors had suffered from their extended privileges. Although late sign-outs by juniors almost quadrupled last year, the committee found that they were nearly as numerous for sophomores, who were still required to get permission.