Squash Squad Faces Amherst

By Richard B. Ruge

Jack Barnaby's squash team should pick up its fourth straight shutout and its seventh straight win against a hapless Amherst squad in Hemenway at 8 p.m. today. The Jefts have won only one of their seven games and should pose no threat to the power-packed Crimson.

The varsity's line-up has changed slightly since the team's 9-0 victory over Dartmouth Jan. 16. Vic Niederhoffer will be playing in his customary number one slot, but sophomore Bill Morris has moved into second position ahead of senior Paul Sullivan.

Morris is slower than Sullivan but seems to apply his shots better and, when hot, can place them a rasor's edge above the tin. Sullivan tends to bring the ball into the middle of the court instead of keeping it down the walls, but when he shoots at the right time, he can be unbeatable.

The rest of the squad includes senior Doug Walter, junior Lou Williams, sophomore Terry Robinson, senior (and captain) Roger Wiegand, and junior John Thorndike. Sophomore Allen Terrell has moved into the number nine slot ahead of junior (and alternate) John Vinton.

Coach Barnaby has praised the squad's depth, pointing out that both Terrell and Thorndike have played well recently and learn quickly. Terrell and Robinson may move up the ladder this year; Robinson has developed into a fine player and may well be near the top of the ladder next year.

After today's match the varsity faces Pennsylvania and Williams before the nationals in Detroit Feb. 23-24. If the varsity brings back the national title, it will be the first for Harvard since 1932, a year that a near that Barnaby played in the number four slot. The season ends with the Yale match here Feb. 27 and the intercollegiates at West Point the weekend of March 1.

This year the varsity has beaten McGill (6-3), Montreal Squash and Tennis Club (6-4), Army (8-1), Cornell (9-0), Dartmouth (9-0), and MIT (9-0)