Students Rap Libraries in Survey, Propose Later Hours for Widener

A poll of over 2200 undergraduates has revealed sizable dissatisfaction with Widener and Lamont libraries. Three-quarters of the students polled last month by HCUA said they had complaints.

Students claimed that Widener's closing time is too early, its book searching is too inefficient, its study area is too limited, and its stack passes are too hard to get. Specific student criticisms of Lamont were not made public by the Harvard Council for Undergraduate Affairs, at the request of Lamont librarian Henry James. James is understood to be planning corrective action.

The HCUA distributed library questionnaires in Lamont between Jan. 18 and Feb. 1. Its conclusions were based on 2225 valid responses. The poll showed that freshmen lead the college in using Lamont. One-third of the students answering the questionnaire were members of the class of '66, and about one-fifth belonged to each of the other classes.

The average undergraduate uses Lamont about three times a week, HCUA found. Twenty-nine per cent of those polled, however, said they went less than once weekly, while seven per cent said they went eight or more times a week.

The most popular time to use Lamont is the evening (66 per cent of those polled); followed by the afternoon (25 per cent); and the morning (nine per cent). Approximately half the students go to Lamont to get reserve books; the rest go just to study.

Sixty per cent of those who do not use Lamont go to Widener, with house and departmental libraries running a poor second and third. Houses drew fire for not having enough reference and reserve books.

Only Farnsworth Room, the recreational-reading center of Lamont, seemed to have general approval. Students praised its homelike atmosphere, but asked for more magazines and hobby books.

John P. Russo '65, chairman of the HCUA's library committee, predicted that the poll would attract official attention because of the large response. A report goes before the Council tonight for approval.