Varsity Faces Crusaders; Lineup Changes Probable

Game Time: 3:45 p.m. at Holy Cross

By Robert A. Ferguson

Harvard beat both Brown and Pennsylvania last week, but lacrosse coach Bruce Munro still isn't happy with the varsity's overall showing and will continue to experiment with different units this week. Plagued by difficulties on both the attack and midfield, the varsity may have its hands full at Holy Cross today.

When the season opened, Munro expected little trouble with his middle units because of the abundance of Crimson talent in this area. But the midfields allowed all five Penn goals last Saturday and personnel changes to tighten defensive play may be in order. Sophomore Mike Leahy, particularly, will see more service than usual against the Crusaders.

While the midfields were letting in five Quaker goals, the offense was scoring only seven Saturday. Munro will undoubtedly be working on new plays to beef up his attack in today's game.

Gunnoe Improved in New Role

"Tink" Gunnoe has shown marked improvement in his new role as an attackman. His 18 assists in seven games are ample proof of his abundant passing skills. Unfortunately, Gunnoe has had very little help in the assist department and Harvard could be in real trouble if Holy Cross has an effective defenseman to put on the ambidextrous junior.

Fellow attackman Dick Ames leads the team in goals scored with ten and his dodge is one of the best on the varsity. But the tall sophomore must improve his pace of two assists in seven games if the varsity is ever to have a balanced offense.

Monro's defense is still as good as gold. Captain Al Straus has to be a candidate for All-American honors just on the strength of his clearing. Charlie Kessler is the best crease defenseman in New England when he's not in the penalty box, and sophomore Freddie Gates improves every game.