CEP Accepts Proposal For Sophomore Credit In History-Lit. Tutorial

The Committee on Educational Policy yesterday approved a proposal to make sophomore tutorial in History and Literature a credit course starting next fall. The full Faculty, however, must pass on the measure before the tutorial can be offered as an ungraded half-credit course running throughout the year, as now proposed.

"It is up to the Faculty now," Kenneth S. Lynn '45, associate professor of English and a member of the CEP, commented yesterday after the meeting. He stressed that the CEP's position was not necessarily that of the Faculty, but added that he thought the motion would pass in a Faculty meeting.

Lynn said that expects the proposal, which requires only a majority vote to receive approval, will be placed on the docket of the next Faculty meeting, scheduled for Tuesday, May 21.

Bernard Bailyn, professor of History and CEP member, said that he also feels the motion will receive Faculty approval. "The History and Literature Committee has good reasons for wanting to institute credit tutorial in their field," he explained.

David M. Kalstone, head tutor in History and Literature, refused to speculate on the chances of the proposal's receiving Faculty approval. He noted that, beside the major issue of granting the tutorial credit," "several minor questions remain open, such as whether or not the tutorial will be graded." The proposal as passed by the CEP states that the tutorial will be ungraded.

The number of courses required for a degree in History and Literature will be increased by one-half course if credit is granted for the tutorial, Kalstone added. A total of 7 1/2 courses would be required of History and Literature majors, including 2 1/2 credits of tutorial.

The History Department has not submitted a proposal similar to that of the History and Literature Committee, although earlier in the year such a move had been considered. Giles Constable '50, associate professor of History and head tutor in the Department, said recently, however, that such plans have "by no means been dropped."

Everett I. Mendelsohn, assistant professor of the History of Sciences, said that the History and Science Committee "had watched the matter with great interest. I am not quite sure," he added, "that the plan for credit sophomore tutorial would works in History and Science as the fields are even further separated than History and Literature, but the committee is giving the idea serious con- sideration."