Judges Unanimous: No Winners Found in HRO Concerto Concert

Friday night's HRO concerto concert produced no winners, because the judges felt that none of the ten contestants was qualified to play as soloists with the HRO.

James D. Yannatos, conductor of the HRO and one of the contest's three judges, said the decision was unanimous that none of the contestants qualified for the award. Winners traditionally play as soloists with the HRO in March. "If there had not been a precedent for this, we would have established one," he added.

'Irresponsible' Preparation

had made poor choices of the pieces

Yannatos felt that some participants had made poor choices of the pieces they played, but pointed out that the panel could only judge "on the basis of what was played at this audition." He said some of the musicians had been "irresponsible" by not preparing adequately, but stressed that "a great deal of talent was shown, although no one lived up to the standards required to be a winner."

David Hathaway '67, the piano accompanist for one contestant, complained that these standards were too high. "The HRO is not a professional orchestra," he said, "and I resent their making such a condescending decision." Another Planist also complained that no practice room was provided. He added that the contestants had not been informed in advance of the manner in which the contest would be conducted. The same contestant felt that the contest should have been better advertised, so that the participants would "at least have had the experience of playing before an audience."

Daniel K. Eilar '67, vice president of HRO and also a contestant, pointed out that responsibility for the decision rested with the judges and had little to do with the HRO itself. He was "disappointed that there was no winner," but felt that the decision of the judges was justified.

The two other judges this year, besides Yannatos, were Mrs. Louise Vosgerchian, Preceptor in Music, and Wolfe Wolfinsohn, violin teacher at the Longy School of Music.