1100 TO HONOR JACK FADDEN

By Glenn A. Padnick

The old college trainer is traditionally a man of many cliches in the sports world. "Give me the old-time athletes," he says, "they'd show these young guys a thing or two. And as for doctors, why with a piece of tape and a bottle of liniment they could cure anything better than these new fellows."

Not so with Jack Fadden, trainer of Harvard teams since 1923.

"There's no doubt about it," he said yesterday. "The boys today are bigger, stronger, and faster. You can tell that by the shoe orders I give."

And doctors? "I've worked with some great doctors here at Harvard. They know more than a layman like me. Half the time I get credit for things they do."

If this is so, then Fadden has been stealing a lot of credit. Almost 1100 people will honor Fadden at a testimonial tomorrow night in the Hotel Statler.

Senator Edward M. Kennedy '54 (D-Mass.), will introduce the trainer. Dean Monro, Dean Watson, John Yovicsin, Adolph Samborski '25, F. Skiddy von Stade Jr., '38, Carl Yastremski of the Boston Red Sox, football captains Ken Loyda '66 and Justla Hughes '67, and hosts of great and near-great former Harvard athletes will be among the many present.

All-Time Greats

Fadden recalled a few of the old timers yesterday.

The greatest Harvard hockey player was Billy Cleary '56, who scored 89 points in the 1955 season. "What he did was like hitting 100 home runs in a baseball season," Fadden said.

He couldn't select one all-time great football player, but quickly butted out the names of Ben Ticknor '31. All-American center. Barry Wood '32. All-American quarterback, and Dick Clasby '54 as men to be reckoned with.

On Fadden's baseball list are Henry Chauncey '28 and Eddle McGrath '31.

The quality of training has improved along with the caliber of the players, according to Fadden. Referring to the old machines used in physio-therapy, he said. "Talk about Rube Goldberg machines, they weren't even shockproof like today's."

And the testimonial? "I'm embarrassed by it. A thousand people will be there, 99 per cent of them because they think I contributed something towards them." They must know something that Jack Fadden doesn't.