Crimson Faces Indians In Ivy Hockey Tonight

By Robert P. Marshall jr.

When the Harvard hockey team flow come from Cornell Saturday it left more woods than just Ithaca's Sapsucker forest. Behind the icemen now are the toughest part of the Ivy schedule, meetings with all the top Eastern independents, and the heavy shuffling of personnel that marked the season's first half.

This isn't to say the Crimson is now in the clear, but a predicted win over Dartmouth here tonight should start Harvard on a stretch run toward its goal of a winning season.

Weak Teams

Going into the 8 p.m. contest, the Indian skaters boast a 5-5 record overall, and place ahead of the Crimson in the Ivy standings with a 1-1 mark. But three of Dartmouth's victories were registered over weak teams from New Hampshire, Norwich, and Middlebury.

The other two wins over Yale and Princeton don't attest to any relative superiority either. Yale also beat the Green, 10 to 3 at the Nichols Tournament, and the Tigers reversed their overtime loss with a 5-4 triumph Saturday.

Smothered

B.C. and B.U. smothered Dartmouth, 10 to 1 and 3 to 3, before vacation, and little Bowdoin upended the Indians three days after helplessly succumbing to Harvard at the season's start.

Most of Dartmouth's scoring punch is supplied by the first line centered by Coloradan Karl Andrews. Winging for Andrews are Dean Mathews, second team All-Ivy last year, and junior Bill Smoyer, who was second-team All-Ivy in soccer this fall.

The Indians have another All-Ivy second-teamer, old-teamer, captain Charlie Stuart.

High-Scoring Harvard

Junior goalie Warren Cook is sporting a 2.6 goals-against per game average, but he will be hard pressed to maintain that against the high-scoring Crimson. In 13 games Harvard has tallied 61 goals, just 6 shy of the total for all last year.

Sophomore Kent Parrot, with a 8 goals and 18 assists, is already well ahead of the 21-point total that was high for the '64-'65 Crimson. And Pete Waldinger's tenth goal of the season against B.C. topped the mark of 9 he led the team with last year.

All seats for tonight's game are reserved, and can be obtained by exchanging coupon 13 at 60 Boylston St. before 5 p.m. today.