Harvard, Brown Clash for Ivy Title In Soccer Showdown This Morning

By Robert P. Marshall jr.

Hurry up and get down to Soldiers Field if you want to be in on this weekend's two hours of sports excitement. Brown and Harvard, both 5-0 in Ivy play, will battle for the League soccer championship at 11; but to get a front-row stance around the roped-off field you'll have to show up early.

Brown's fanatic fans will be coming up in hordes for this one, and with good reason. Cliff Stevenson generally compensates for the disastrous Bruin football teams by recruiting, molding, and coaching the best soccer teams in the East.

The 1966 version may be his best ever. Since a fluke 1-0 loss to Wesleyan, which was the outshot 27-16, Brown has been untouchable. It has reeled off nine straight wins and has upped its undefeated streak in Ivy competition to 14.

Brown's forward line is awesome: Left wing Vic deJong is a masterful dribbler and shooter, who was relegated to the second All-Ivy team as a sophomore last year only because Harvard winger Charlie Njoku led the loop in scoring.

Right wing Mark Detora, who has AllAmerica potential according to Stevenson, ran Harvard's fullbacks into the ground in last year's confused, mud-coated 6-1 title-decider at Providence.

Center forward Gary Kaufman leads the Ivy League in scoring, and inside Ben Brewster is tops in assists.

Square the Ball

Pat Migliore, center fullback in Brown's 5-2-3 alignment, is so unbeatable that Harvard's game plan is to square the ball, use the wings, and keep play out of the middle. Brown's defense was the only area hurt by graduation, but with four shutouts in its last five games it apparently has healed any wounds.

In the goal, junior, Bob Bernius has played so well that he's beaten out Dave Chichester, who started all last year and is co-captain with inside Frank Golet this year.

Harvard is psychologically ready to take on Brown, but below par physically. Tony Marks, Lutz Hoeppner, and Jaime Vargas are recovering from minor injuries, but they will play.

The big blow could be the loss of center half Andy Kydes, the Crimson's key performer this season. Kydes will be replaced by Abi Azikiwe if the challenge of Brown isn't enough to dull the pain in his hemorrhaging leg.

The game will be close, it will be well played, and it may give Harvard a sweep of this fall's Ivy League titles.