JV's Blank Terrier Pups; Yardlings Trample Brown

By Joel R. Kramer

With two quick touchdowns in the second quarter the Harvard Junior Varsity ground out a 17-0 victory over the Boston University freshmen yesterday afternoon.

A fourth quarter fist-fight which ended with cancelling 15-yard penalties climaxed the hard-fought defensive battle on muddy Soldier's Field.

The Crimson's first score came on a 40-yard interception by safety Don Sadoski to open the second quarter. Minutes later, halfback Ken O'Connell's run and reception, each good for 11 yards, carried Harvard to the 20, where on a deceptive reverse Tony Smith romped the remaining yards unscathed.

Tom Wynn added the two extra-points, plus a 16-yard field goal early in the third quarter. Not until then, trailing by 17 points and forced to pass, did B.U. threaten, and only repeated efforts by the Crimson defense preserved the early lead.

Paced by quarterback Kevin Kennedy, the Terriers marched to the Harvard nine, where they were stopped on two tackles by defensive guard Jim Moses. An interception by Ed Hargus ended a fourth quarter B.U. drive.

Neither mud, nor Brown, nor dozens of penalties, could stop the Harvard freshmen yesterday, as they mercilessly stomped on Brown 56-14. The eight Crimson touchdowns were more than the team had scored in the first four games put together.

Brown tried everything, including an offensive formation where ten men were on the line: seven way over on the right sideline, two far to the left, and the center alone in the middle. The quarterback was twelve yards behind the line to receive the snap and the whole Harvard defensive line. It didn't work too well.

Harvard had to run only one play from scrimmage to build up a 14-0 lead. The Crimson first got the ball on the Brown 37 after the Bruins could not move. Quarterback Dave Smith faked a handoff, causing the defense to hesitate an instant. Ray Hornblower was all alone on a straight pattern to take an easy TD pass.

Two plays after the kickoff, with Rod Rovzar applying the pressure to Brown's passer Charlie Baglio, Greg Kundrat picked off Baglio's sideline pass at the 30 and ran it in for a score.

Brown banged back with Tony Renzi carrying over and over again, and with one big pass play mixed in. A two-point conversion made it 14-8, but it wasn't close for long.

An interception by George Mekras at the Bruin 18 set up the third Crimson TD, which was scored by Hornblower on a seven-yard pitchout play. Harvard drove 54 yards for the fourth.