Open Reserve

While Radcliffe's new Hilles Library has been much praised as a place to study, its open reserve system has borne considerable criticism. The reserve section had not been open for more than two weeks before Cliffies began to complain that they could never find the reserve books on the shelves.

Disorganization during the library's first first few weeks caused much of this problem -- many of the books had not yet been put on reserve. Now that the new system is functioning normally, however, it is apparent that its advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

An open reserve system is unquestionably easier for both students and staff. It permits student access to the stacks, and eliminates the need to line up at the desk and fill out a card for every book. It allows quick perusal of a book without going through the mechanics of checking it out, and eliminates the 9 p.m. congestion at the desk.

Admittedly the system has drawbacks. It is possible to take three or four books anywhere in the library, and keep them all day. They cannot be recalled, and while this is fine for the person writing a paper, it can tie up much needed books.

Clearly the new system can be absurd -- some will undoubtedly hoard several books until 9 p.m. and then check them out for the night. Yet even now, in the midst of November hour exams, people say it is easier to get books than it was a year ago under the closed system.

And even if hoarding does become a serious problem during reading period, there are ways to control it without completely closing the stacks. Certain books could be restricted to the reserve book wing only, making it possible to find and recall them. Or, a few books in great demand could be put on a temporary closed reserve.

But so far, Cliffies are simply not proving as cutthroat as the pessimists expected. Until they do, Hilles should retain its open reserve system.