Yale Triturates Harvard Sextet, 8-5, Ending Seven Year Jinx at Ingalls

By Joel R. Kramer

Yale's hockey team dismembered Harvard, 3-5 at New Haven Saturday, ending a seven-year jinx and killing the Crimson's chance for an invitation to the ECAC tourney.

The Elis opened the scoring at 5:25 while Kent Parrot was sitting out a tripping penalty, and added another goal one minute later.

Harvard bounced back at 9:53, as a shot by Grimble was deflected in off the stick of Bob Fredo. The Eli defense was abominable throughout the first stanza, but Harvard could not capitalize on the sloppy passwork, and Yale led 2-1 at the first intermission.

The teams scored four times oach in the wild second period. Ted Carey scored for Yale on a deflection at 0:22. At the two-minute mark, Yale center Wint Ritchie made a perfect pass from the right side, and Pete Markle slapped it past Bill Fitzsimmons without ever bothering to slow the pass down. Less than two minutes inter, George Semler found himself well covered by Harvard defenseman Ben Smith, so he took a difficult backhander from 20 feet out. Smith partially deflected it, and it caught the upper right corner of the net.

Down by four goals, Harvard suddenly broke out of its 88-minute lethargy which had begun against Brown. Don Grimble scored at the eight minute mark, and Pete Miller made it 5-3 halfway through the game. Yale interrupted the surge on Markle's second goal.

Pete Waldinger followed with a 20 ft. slapshot for his first score since the exam period break. Kent Parrot made it 6-5 Yale on one of his famous drives.

Fessenden was forced to make 20 saves in the second period, but the Crimson thrust was spent. Jack Walsh and Ritchie added Eli goals in the third period.