Harvard Experts Attempt to Quiet Fears of Peking

Two Faculty members sought to allay fears of Chinese world conquest in testimony before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee yesterday.

Benjamin I. Schwartz '38, professor of History and Government, stated that "the notion that the Chinese model of revolution is a kind of magic formula which will work everywhere in the `underdeveloped world' once certain buttons are pressed in Peking is a notion based on the same fear of the disbolical cleverness of Communists which we used to direct to Moscow."

He stressed that certain important factors in the rise of communism in China are not present in most underdeveloped countries today. He listed warlordism, "military fragmentation," the presence of a foreign aggressor, and strong leadership within the country.

"In Vietnam, which provides the only case until now of the successful adaptation of the Chinese strategy, one has had not only specific favorable circumstances but a leadership in Hanol which has essentially made itself," he added.

John M.H. Lindbeck, associate director of the East Asian Research Center, said that Peking is preoccupied with China's domestic problems and devotes only a small part of its energy and resources to international politics.