Harvard Places Third in IC4A's Behind Maryland and Villanova

Harvard's track team did not produce an individual winner at the IC4A track meet at Madison Square Garden Saturday night, but four Crimson performers placed high enough to land the third team spot for Harvard.

Maryland, ending Villanova's four-year hold on the indoor crown, won the meet easily behind first-place finishes by high-jumper Frank Costello 6 ft. 10 in.), broad-jumper Ed Marks (24-10 3-4), pole-vaulter Tom Gagner (15-4), and shot-putter Ernie Hearon (57-7 1-2).

The Terrapins compiled 28 points, compared to Villanova's 17 and Harvard's 14. Following Harvard were Georgetown with 13 and Manhattan with 12.

Crimson captain Tony Lynch, placing second in the 60-yard high hurdles behind Dave Hemery of B.U., was one of three runners to place for Harvard while bettering their previous beat times. Lynch ran a :07.2 semifinal heat, while Hemery, a sophomore from England, turned in a :07.1 for a meet record.

Sophomore Jim Baker, who earlier in the season set a University record in the two-mile run with a 9:11.1, ran a 9:05.5 Saturday for a third place, over ten seconds better than the fourth man. Georgetown's Eamon O'Reilly won the event in 8:57.8, followed by Barry Brown of Providence in 9:01.3. Harvard sophomore Joe Ryan did not place, but turned in a fine 9:18.7.

Sophomore Trey Burns, University record holder in the 1000-yard run at 2:10.9, finished third in 2:10.4 Saturday for a personal best, though not quite equal to the record-breaking performances of Georgetown's Ricardo Urbina (2:08.8) and Seton Hall's Herb Germann (2:08.9).

In the high jump, NCAA champion Frank Costello of Maryland won as expected at 6-10--a mediocre performance for him. Harvard's Chris Pardee was not far behind at 6-8, which earned a second place for the Crimson senior.

Crimson junior Charles Njoku, at 6-3, did not qualify for the finals. Pardee, saving all his energy for the high jump, did not enter the broad jump. Harvey Thomas' 22-5 leap was 4 1/2 inches short of fifth place.

Harvard did not place in either the weight throw or shotput, but sophomores Ron Wilson (55-2 1/2) and Bob Brooks (51-4 1/2) continue to show promise in the weight.

Sprinter Wayne Anderson repeated his :06.4 performance of last year in the 60-yard dash. It earned him a close second to Fordham's Sam Perry last year, but this time it didn't even win him a berth in the semifinals. Perry, in :06.2, won the event for the third consecutive year.

In the trials for the 600-yard run, Harvard hopeful Jeff Huvelle drained himself trying to pass St. John's Walt Kueffner and finished in 1:14.2, well below Huvelle's better efforts. Olympian Tom Farrell of St. John's won the event in 1:11.4.