U.S. Drops Plan to Report on Hughes

FACULTY NEWS BRIEFS

The U.S. State Department has dropped its plan to keep tabs on II. Stuart Hughes, professor of History, when he is in Europe this fall. Secretary of State Dean Rusk said Tuesday.

A month ago the Department had asked American embassies in Europe to report any information about his activities that might come to their attention.

Rusk also announced several changes in the procedure for handling future requests originating from the Justice Department. In a letter to Senator Edward M. Kennedy '54-6 (D-Mass.), he stated that requests will be made only in cases of "important national interest" and will be handled only by a "responsible officer" in the Justice Department.

In the past, requests for information required no special approval and were routed through Miss Frances G. Knight, Director of the Passport Office. She handled approximately 150 such requests last year.

State Department officers said that this procedure 'did not make any sense' because the office has no connection with security agencies. Future requests will be passed through the Bureau of Intelligence and Research.

Rusk also ordered changes in the wording of these messages. The request for information about Hughes stated that he "reportedly in the past has had strong convictions towards communism." Now, Rusk said, inquiries will be limited strictly to information necessary for locating reports on the person in question.

All future messages "will be handled on a restricted basis," avoiding the publicity given the request concerning Hughes, he said.

In other news concerning the Faculty:

* Dr. Alonzo S. Yerby, hospital commissioner of New York City, will resign his poet to accept a chair in Health Services Administration at the School of Public Health.

If his appointment by the Corporation is approved by the Board of Overseers today as expected, he will come to Harvard in September. John V. Lindsay, mayor of New York City, said last week that Dr. Yerby will remain hospital commissioner until August 1.

Dr. Yerby is one of the authors of the Medicare program, which takes effect July 1. As hospital commissioner, he has worked to prepare New York facilities for Medicare and has sought additional Federal funds for municipal hospitals.

* Professor William Alfred's bit play, Hogan's Goat, will be produced in Dublin this September. Another of Alfred's plays, Agamemnon, will open in Paris at the same time. Alfred, on sabbatical next year, plans to spend some time in Ireland "to keep an eye on things."

* William L. Langer '15, Coolidge Professor of History, emeritus, will return to Harvard next year to teach a graduate seminar in European history. Since his retirement in June 1964 Langer has been doing research and writ- ing. He is the former director of the Russian Research Center and Center for Middle Eastern Studies.

Daniel Seltzer, associate professor of English and Alfred Harbage, Henry B. and Anne M. Cabot Professor of English Literature, will give English 124, Harvard's Shakespeare course, Seltzer will lecture in the Fall and Harbage in the Spring.

Theodore R. Sizer, dean of the Faculty of Education, and Dr. Edgar Haber, assistant professor of medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital were named among this year's ten Outstanding Young Men of Boston by the Junior Chamber of Commerce.

Michael Walzer, an authority o