City May Delay Jaywalking Fine To Paint Walks

By Glenn A. Padnick

Cambridge may delay the enforcement of its jaywalking law until June to give the City time to repaint some of its most important crosswalks.

The City Council yesterday referred Councillor Walter J. Sullivan's delaying order to Traffic Director Robert Rudolph for consideration. The Council told Rudolph to report back in two weeks and inform it on the possibilities of painting the crosswalks and still enforcing the law near the already set May 15 date.

Sullivan said that he was particularly concerned about the intersection of Plympton St. and Mass. Ave., which Harvard students cross on their way to the Yard from the Houses.

Student Complaints

He said that students from Leverett House and Kirkland House had complained to him that the lack of a light or crosswalk there made it legally impossible to cross the street under the two year old jaywalking law.

Rudolph said that he did not have the materials on hand to paint the necessary crosswalks and would not even receive bids on them until April 29. Even if the materials arrived within ten days after the City signed a contract for the materials and if he used all his men. Rudolph said, the crosswalks could not be completed until June.

During the discussions with Rudolph, Councillor Edward A. Crane '35 read a letter from Howard Mumford Jones, Abbot Lawrence Lowell Professor of the Humanities, Emeritus, complaining that the fading of "No Parking" signs on Francis Ave. had resulted in the continual clogging of his driveway there.

In separate action, the Council passed Councillor Thomas Mahoney's order requesting City Manager Joseph A. DeGusdelmo '29 to confer with MBTA officials about their plans to remove all busses from the surface in Harvard Square.

Mahoney termed the order an extension of his order last year which placed special mufflers on some busses, enabling them to use the tunnel beneath the Square.