Roosevelt Says He'll Probably Seek Run for New York Governorship

Franklin D. Roosevelt Jr. '33 last night told an audience of Young Democrats that his chances of running for Governor of New York look "pretty good." Asked about Governor Rockefeller, the probable Republican candidate, Roosevelt said, "It would take me all night to discuss all the failures of his administration, but in general it has been a case of too little, too late."

Governor has suddenly become interested in water and air pollution, beautification of the Hudson river valley, and minimum wage legislation, Roosevelt alleged, "Just like he did before the election four years ago." lie has acted only when his political survival is at stake, Roosevelt added.

Roosevelt named seven possible candidates for the Democratic nomination including New York City Council President Frank O'Connor and Rep. Samuel Stratton (D-N.Y.) but said "the Republicans are stuck with Rockefeller."

Roosevelt explained he did not think Senator Jacob Javits (R-N.Y.) would seek to defeat Rockefeller for the Republican nomination. "Javits would probably be better off with a Democratic governor," Roosevelt noted, "so that he could be top dog, just as Bobby Kennedy is better off with a Republican in Albany.

Chairman of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission since 1964. Roosevelt also described some of the problems which have confronted the Commission, especially those relating to discrimination by sex.

Rep. Howard K. Smith (D-Va.), a agregationist, inserted the clause outlawing discrimination by sex into the Civil Rights Act in an attempt to hamstring the Commission. The "sex clause" has led to some touchy problems, Roosevelt said, but so far no men have applied to be bunnies in Playboy Clubs.