Tennis Team Defeats Brown, 8-1, For Fourth Straight Eastern Win

The varsity tennis team rolled over Brown yesterday, 8-1, at the Palmer Dixon Courts. The victory was the Crimson's fourth straight since its Southern tour.

Brown put up a fight in only two matches -- the first and fifth singles contests. Senior Bob Higginbottom, scoring consistently with his crisp, high volleys at the net, took the first set from the Crimson's Dave Benjamin. Higginbottoms' volleying was considerably poorer on low balls, but Benjamin's control was off and he couldn't keep the ball down.

Benjamin pulled out the long second set, 8-6, and after that it was downhill all the way. He regained his control and ran out the match against Higginbottom, who was now unable to rush the net, for a 3-6, 8-6, 6-2 win.

The only Bruin win came in the fifth singles when Brown sophomore Johnny Moglescu beat Dick Appleby, 6-2, 2-6, 8-6. Appleby dominated play from the start with a sharp net game and a booming forehand -- which he usually hit with both feet off the ground. But Moglescu, an awkward looking lefty, hung on and extracted more and more errors from the erratic Appleby as the match progressed.

Sophomore Bernie Adelsberg beat Brown's Bob Bruce, who could not control his own hard service, 6-4, 6-1, in the second singles. Richie Friedman, Jose Gonzalez and Todd Wilkenson all won easily in the third, fourth and sixth positions.

Adelsberg and Gonzalez walked over Higginbottom and Bruce in the first doubles, 6-3, 6-2. Gonzalez, fresh from two weeks of tennis in Puerto Rico, looked especially sharp. Dinny Adams and Dave Hodges, and Todd Wilkenson and Richie Friedman completed the Crimson sweep of the doubles with wins in the second and third slots.