Harvard Takes 3rd Place In Heptagonal Track Meet

By John A. Herfort

Hampered by injuries and some disappointing performances. Harvard's track team finished third in the Hepagonal Championships in New Haven yesterday. The Crimson did however, set two new University records and Chris Pardes set a new Hap record of still in the high jump despite an injured ankle.

Meet-favoraite Army won the meet with points. Navy finished second with 1/5 points and the Crimson was third with 62. Princeton and Yale finished fifth and sixth respectively.

The two new University records were set by the Crimson's two relay teams. The 440 yard relay team (Bobby Lee, Joe Smith Andy Cahners and Wayse Andersen) finished third to Navy and Army in 47.3 seconds. The mile relay team (Dave McKelvey Trey Burns Jeff Hevelle and Sam Robinson) was nipped at the time by Navy but managed a fine 141 time Robinson ran the anchor leg in a sparkling 47.3 seconds.

Pardes in addition to his high jump victory finished second in both the long jump and the triple jump. In the latter event, he hop step and jumped 47.1 by far the best of his career.

Captain Tony Lynch slowed his pace in the 440 yard intermediate hurdles to aid teammate Frank Haggerty and the strategy payed off. Lynch won easily in 535 seconds, while Haggerty took an unexpected second. In the 120-yard high hurdles though. Lynch pulled a leg muscle after the third hurdle as he started to move ahead but managed to finish third, getting three valuable but painful points.

Navy's Tom Palkie won the 100, 220, and the broad jump. Andersen, running with a bad leg, was second in the 100 in a photo finish and Sam Robinson finished fifth in the 220.

Burns was unable to match Princeton's Jack Endrikat's kick in the 880 but held on for second. Jeff Huvelle took a fourth in the 440 behind Cornell's Bill Brickel, but managed a 48.2 second time, his best so far and 2 seconds off the Harvard record. Bob Stempson, who was counted on to finish third in the 880, failed to qualify for the finals.

Ron Wilson did not win his customary three events, but threw the hammer a creditable 180-6 to finish third and also took a second in the discus.

Miler Jim Baker faded to fourth in the homestretch of the mile but recorded a fairly fast 4:12.8 time behind Army's Jim Warner. Warner also took the two-mile with his predictable last lap sprint and Baker finished third in 9:03.3. Senior Dave Allen shocked everybody by taking fourth, only .1 seconds behind Baker.

Sophomore Steve Schoonover finally returned to his mid-winter form and cleared 14 feet for an unofficial University record to grab second.