Uprisings Begin In Yard But Die From Frostbite

The natives were restless last night. Several uprisings in the Yard between 10 p.m., and 11 p.m. nearly burgeoned into riots before they fizzled ignominiously.

The initial wave of unrest began shortly after 10 p.m. when several Weld freshers started turning their room lights off and on. Within five minutes Matthews and Grays were blinking back at them.

When the blinking had risen to a fever pitch, about 20 Weld students poured out of the dorm making animal noises. Windows went up all over the Yard and the Weld call was answered for a short time by a general growl.

Only proctors, however, came outside the dorms. Police moved quietly into strategic positions around the Yard, and the uprising had lulled within 20 minutes its beginning.

Fire Alarm

A little before 11 p.m., however, the blinking picked up again and was soon punctuated by the raucous blare of the Weld fire alarm which someone had triggered. All of Weld, more than a 100 students, emptied into Weld's open entrance where they were contained by proctors and a small battery of police.

Most of the Weld students didn't seem to know what was happening and all were docile in the face of the authorities.

In a few moments everyone was herded back inside Weld. But after some freshmen had exploded large firecrackers and hurled sparklers from their dorms did an uneasy quiet fall over the yard, a little past 11 p.m.

The freshman attributed the failure of the riots to the cold weather, another to the lack of a slogan. But the consensus seemed to be that this was just a rehearsal.