Trackmen Draw Blank at Relays

Harvard's track team counterbalanced its winless performance at the Penn Relays last weekend with its third consecutive dual meet victory, defeating Dartmouth 114-40 on Saturday at Hanover.

Friday afternoon in Philadelphia, hampered by a cold, blustery wind, the Crimson distance medley quartet of Troy Burns, Jeff Huvelle, Bob Stempson, and Jim Baker, finished sixth in a strong field that included Georgetown and Villanova. Burns however, whipped through his half-mile leg in 1:52, while Baker ran the anchor mile in a quick 4:09.5.

The Crimson mile relay team lost the baton 30 yards after the start and loafed in seventh in the Ivy championship ahead of only host Penn.

Captain Tony Lynch didn't have enough time to warm up for the 440-yard hurdles because of a freak mishap and finished third in 52.8 seconds, almost two seconds off his best. Lynch also skimmed the first hurdle of his 120-yard high hurdle heat and failed to finish.

Saturday, in cold, rainy weather, Walt Hewlett ran sixth in the two-mile run, but recorded his fastest time in almost a year, 9:02.1. Ivy League nonpareil Chris Pardee had a bad day and could only clear 6' 6" in the high jump, finishing third to his nemisis, fellow seven-footer Frank Costello from Maryland.

At Dartmouth, the situation improved considerably, as the Crimson took 15 of 18 events. And Harvard would have probably taken the high hurdles and the high jump if Lynch and Pardee weren't in Philadelphia.

Several of the Crimson's entrants in Philadelphia Friday flew back to New England and took first places in Saturday's meet. Jeff Huvelle led a Harvard sweep in the 440, winning in 48.6 seconds, the best time of his career. He also ran the second leg on the winning mile relay team.

Baker won the mile in a moderate 4:15.6 and finished third to Stempson and Burns in the 880.

Ron Wilson was the real star of the day though as he won three events: the shot put, the hammer throw, and the discus, for the third consecutive meet.