SDS Aids Hospital Workers' Protest

The Students for a Democratic Society yesterday helped picket the Jewish Memorial Hospital in Roxbury to demand higher wages and better working conditions for hospital employees.

About 40 off-duty workers, representing the Jewish Memorial Hospital Workers' and Patients' Betterment Association, joined the 12 SDS demonstrators. Many carried signs reading, "$40 a week is not a living wage," "Time and a half for overtime," and "Together we'll win."

Francis J. Keaty, president of the newly-formed Association said yesterday that some of the hospital's porters, maids and orderlies take home less than $45 per week. Many of the employees, Keaty said, must work two eight-hour shifts in order to take home a decent day's salary.

Emily S. Perkins '66, chairman of the SDS labor committee, has been working closely with the Workers' Association for about a month. Last week SDS helped the Association draw up a list of demands. These included a minimum wage of $1.65 per hour, time and a half for overtime, and Blue Cross-Blue Shield protection for all employees.

On Monday, hospital director Murray Fertel fired Keaty for attempting to organize the workers. The Association met with SDS again Monday night and decided to picket the hospital for the rest of the week. If Fertel does not offer to recognize the Association, Keaty said, "we'll have to try more drastic measures."

SDS representatives suggested an immediate walk-out, but Keaty insisted that to abandon the patients would attract unfavorable publicity and allenate uncommitted employees. Instead, he advised pulling out non-essential workers, such as porters and kitchen employees, to fore the hospital to bring in expensive catering and housecleaning contractors.

Labor organization among non-professional hospital employees is illegal in Massachusetts. Keady said, however, that if the hospital files a claim against his Association, he will be glad to make a test case of the issue.