Klein Calls Recent Chinese Purges Indication of Naked Power struggle

A heavy increase in the number of purges in high places indicates that we are reaching a turning point in Red China, Donald W, Klein, research fellow in East Asian Studies, said last night before an ARFEP audience in Boylston Hall.

Klein indicated that the purges represent the beginning of a "naked power struggle." Two high Communist officials deposed this month both took strong stands against the Soviet Union and the United States, but there is no indication that the purges have been accompanied by a softer line towards the West.

If the men are not being deposed for their views, Klein hinted, they are being deposed because of rifts and rumblings in the party.

This does not mean that Red China is embarking on a Stalinist blood bath. Klein pointed out that Chinese political purges in the past never involved death, and almost never jail. The official simply leaves his post, and may even return to government at some later date under more favorable conditions.

Purges this months of both the first secretary of the party, and the head of propaganda have broken down an important pattern of Chinese leadership: for three decades, there has been a remarkable solidarity and continuity in high places.

But there is still no young blood. The purged officials have been replaced by others who have spent fifteen years or so with the party, often with the same political views as their predecessors.

The Chinese, Klein said, are exercising "admirable restraint in Vietnam. It wouldn't take much imagination to see what they could do in retaliation for what we have done--like send a million men."