ARFEP Seeks Roots In South and Midwest

By William Woodward

The Harvard chapter of Americans for Reappraisal of Far Eastern Policy has embarked on a drive for new ARFEP chapters on campuses in the South and Mid-West, and at Cornell.

ARFEP, an undergraduate organization sponsoring discussion of U.S.-China relations, currently has 60 operating chapters around the country. "The East and West coasts are pretty well established," said Lewis Crampton, graduate student in East Asian studies, and co-chairman of the Harvard chapter of ARFEP. "We want to train our sights now on the cam- puses of the South and Mid-West, particularly the state universities."

Duke, the University of North Carolina, Vanderbilt, and Davidson have been given top priority for organizational work this Fall.

Another major target is Cornell, which has both a Southeast Asia and a China study program. "We want to bring as many Southeast Asia experts into ARFEP as possible," said Owen de Long, graduate student in Government, and summer co-chairman of ARFEP.

Harvard ARFEP has talked to a number of summer school students at both Harvard and Cornell to interest them in establishing ARFEP at the Universities.

They plan to supply an organizaitonal package" to the sponsors of new ARFEP chapters. The package will contain information on structuring the chapter, getting speakers, and choosing discussion topics. "We are trying to give them the basic push," Crampton said, "because people really have very little idea how to organize."

National ARFEP has been decentralized since its inception a year ago. The Harvard chapter has been the most active "because it is run largely by graduate students who have introduced many ideas which have become national policy," de Long said