Hockey Squad Hopes to Revive Against Weak Dartmouth Tonight

By Robert P. Marshall jr.

With the number of wounds the Harvard hockey team has to nurse, it must be grateful that the Ivy League schedulemaker has prescribed panacean Dartmouth for tonight.

Players are injured, lines and defenses are combined in new, unusual ways, spirit isn't high after two straight onegoal losses, and exams are depressingly imminent. But Harvard would have to have about twice as many alibis to excuse a loss to the Green sextet, even at Hanover.

The Indians have beaten Bowdoin, 7-2, and Middlebury; 3-2, but have provided a great relief to everyone else.

University of New Hampshire, which lost to Harvard, 6-2, handled Dartmouth, 4-1. Colby, which plays in the ECAC's Division II, had as little trouble winning, 6-2.

The Ivy League's second division fellows have been feasting on Dartmouth's doormat. Brown's only League win was a whopper, 12-3 over the Green. Last Saturday, Princeton ran up an equally lopsided score, 8-2. Harvard has already defeated both the Bruins and Tigers.

Most of these losses came in away games, but that is small consolation. Harvard's play has been, if anything, better on foreign ice than at home most of this season. And the Indian icemen won't have the psychological edge they've enjoyed in past seasons when the encounter took place on the Saturday morning of Winter Carnival.

Statistics don't alter the implication of game results. Dartmouth's leading scorer, All-Ivy soccer player Bill Swoyer, can boast a meager 8 points.

And senior captain Warren Cook has had to make an average of 43.3 saves per game in the goal. That's higher than the Harvard individual game record, held by Bill Fitzsimmons(43).

Harvard's latest hurt was suffered at practice yesterday, when a stick opened a cut under the right eye of the high scorer Kent Parrot. If the accompanying swelling subsides as expected, Parrot will be uniform and centering the first line.

The offensive setup has developed along class-conscious lines all the way down. Joining Parrot in an oldie-but-goodie combination on the first line are the team's two senior forwards, captain Dennis McCullough and Pete Waldinger.

Coach Cooney Weiland has moved Don Grimble up to forward, where he played last season, to form a junior trio with Bob Fredo and Jack Garrity.

Bobby Bauer has convalesced quickly from his eye injury and will rejoin Dwight Ware and Chip Otness on the sophomore third wave.

Junior Ben Smith has returned to defense, where he was a second-team AllLeaguer last winter. Smith will team with Dennis Clark, while the Bob CarrChip Scammon tandem remains intact.