Five Manages Fifth in Honolulu; Gallagher, High Scorer, Injured

Honolulu was not especially bright for the Harvard basketball team during last week's Rainbow Classic. The Crimson not only settled for fifth place in the tournament, but had to play without high scorer and rebounder Chris Gallagher.

Gallagher was hurt in the Crimson's heartbreaking defeat at the University of Arizona. The 6'-5" forward broke a toe and is not expected to be back in action until February.

After the Arizona setback, the Crimson dropped a three-point decision to the University of Portland (Ore.), the Hawaii Marines, and corralled Montana in its three tournament games.

18th-ranked Dayton ruined the trip home, clobbering the Crimson by 22 points, 100-78.

Gallagher sustained his injury late in the game at Tueson, and his 12 points were not enough to ward off a 59-58 setback.

Bob Kanuth, whose 74 points in the five games led the team, dropped in 14 and Barth Royer 12 in this losing effort.

In Hawaii, Coach Floyd Wilson shifted regular guard Jeff Grate to the forecourt in Gallagher's spot, and the junior responded with three brilliant performances.

Against Portland December 26, Grate drilled in 17 and Kanuth added 12, but the Crimson dropped another close one, 67-64, and fell into the losers bracket of the Classic.

Two nights later, Grate again threw in 17 points, Kanuth came through with 20 and Captain Gene Dressler 16 as Harvard sank a service team, the Hawaii Marines, 77-66.

In the final game with Montana, all five starters scored in double figures in a surprisingly easy 88-69 win. Grate led the way with 23. Kanuth, rebounding and defending aggressively, had 18, Barth Royer 13, Bob Johnson and Dressler 12 each.

Dayton was a different story from Montana. The Ohio team got 58 points from its two All-America candidates, Torain and May, and demolished the Crimson by 22 points.

Harvard's forecourt of Grate, Royer and Kanuth simply could not outmuscle their huge opponents off the backboards and the Crimson came no closer than five, at 57-52, in the second half.

Royer's 24-point output provided encouragement as the Crimson looks to its tough Ivy League schedule beginning against Cornell and Columbia this weekend.