Cornell Will Pose Threat To Wrestlers

Before last year, the Harvard wrestling team going against Cornell at Cornell was comparable to the Christians against the Lions at the Coliseum. Through 1965, Cornell had beaten Harvard in wrestling for 17 straight years.

But last year, the Christians gobbled up the Lions in the IAB, as Harvard pulled out a fantastic 20-14 victory over the perennial Ivy League wrestling champions on the strength of then-sophomore Howie Freedman's last-second decision in the 191-pound match.

This year, Harvard has started its season less auspiciously. Last week's 21-12 loss to Franklin and Marshall was a bitter disappointment to the team, much less its fans. But the loss has not materially reduced the prospect that Harvard will once again beat Cornell this year, and in the lion's den to boot, when it challenges them Saturday.

Cornell has been maliciously weakened by graduation. In its only start to date, it dropped a 23-11 loss to wrestling power Lehigh. Its line-up featured six sophomores--only two of whom won.

Still, a team that has won 9 of 12 Ivy League wrestling championships has obviously been able to win with sophomores in the past. All this year's Cornell line-up means at this point is that the Crimson has a chance Saturday.

The meet will feature an extra weight class, 118, which Captain Andy Kopecki will drop down to fill. In his old 123 slot, John Moss will get a start. The rest of the line-up probably will be the same one that faced F&M last week. Star junior Danny Naylor is still beset with a leg injury, and sophomore Bruce Goodman is slated again for 130.