Skaters, Huskies to Clash In Boston Arena Contest

By Robert P. Marshall jr.

A Harvard hockey team strengthened by graduation plays a Northeastern squad significantly weakened by the same event in the Crimson's official season opener at 8 p.m. tonight in the Boston Arena.

The Huskies invariably give Harvard a good game, however, and a 5-5 tie with Brown in their opener a few days ago indicates that they will be no soft touch for the still unproven Weilanders.

Plenty of tickets, at $1.50 general admission, $2 reserved, will be available at the door. The Arena, which seats 5,900 and is the home ice of both Northeastern and Boston University, is in Back Bay off Massachusetts Avenue and can be reached by the Dudley St. bus.

Last season the Crimson played two of its less inspired games against the Huskies to come up with a loss and an overtime win. But the big guns that have carried Northeastern hockey for the last three years--Don Turcotte, Jim Leu, and Gary Thornton--have given way to a batch of sophomores.

Northeastern Coach Jimmy Bell was "pretty happy" about his team's performance at Brown, where they led 5-3 before being tied, and hopes his youngsters continue to improve at their present rate.

He is most reliant on his sophomores for defense where starters Jim Hampe, Tom Daniels, and Dean Anderson on the second unit are all in their first season.

Bell does have a first line of veterans Bob McCauseland, Eric Porter, and Ed McCarty which should give Harvard plenty to worry about. And Canadian goalie Ken Leu, who saw some action last winter, is the best kick-saver in the Northeast.

Harvard's showing tonight should give the first real indication of the Crimson's chances in its upcoming games with powerful Boston University (Dec. 6), Boston College (Dec. 9), and Cornell (Dec. 18).